Festive Season – Be wary of Phishing Attacks!
Fri, 12/18/2020 – 15:09
With the end of year festive season approaching, we have observed an increase in Phishing attacks globally and financial institutions in Mauritius cannot be isolated from such cyber-attacks. This is most likely to persist or even increase given the high transaction volume expected during celebration times.
Phishing is an impersonation attempt to lure customers into sharing sensitive information to fraudsters (e.g. Usernames, Passwords, PIN, Credit Card details, etc.) The most commonly used channels are email and phone (also known as vishing).
How to recognize Phishing/Vishing?
• Insist on a call to action – urge you to click a link or reply with information
• Create a false sense of urgency requiring a quick response
• Request not as per sender’s usual transaction pattern
• Contain grammatical mistakes
• Request sensitive personal information over email or phone from unknown caller IDs (WhatsApp & Viber)
We recommend you to exercise utmost care while attending emails requesting for sensitive information, especially from unknown senders.
Additionally, Internet Banking Users should ALWAYS access SBM’s Internet Banking platform from SBM’s official website by accessing our Internet Banking platform HERE.
We wish to remind you that SBM will never ask sensitive information like usernames, password & PIN over email or phone. Only Fraudsters will do!
SBM Bank (Mauritius) Ltd